1.3 Always Think of Me — The gopis are the perfect example of man mana-bhava

Home Forums Nectar of Govinda-lila 1.3 Always Think of Me — The gopis are the perfect example of man mana-bhava

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  madhukar das 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

The discussion on this thread is on pages 10 to 15 (in the fourth edition) of Nectar of Govinda-lila.

Click here to read this section online.

Or click here to download the pdf of the first chapter.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  admin.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  madhukar das.
    #2503 Reply

Satya devi dasi

Is this post correct? Seems to be a partial duplicate of the first reading assignment for this chapter. The links seem to be correct, but the page numbers above are wrong. (Feel free to delete this comment. Just wanted to check.) Thanks. Radhe Radhe.

#2508 Reply

Lalit Kishori dasi

(I believe this section covers pages 10-15)

Just really liked this! Its a nice meditation for when we offer the Ghee lamp in Arati

From page 13

Krsna was holding the flute to His lips and playing
    so sweetly that it seemed the nectar of His heart was emanating
    through the holes of the flute and inundating the entire area of
    Vrndåvana. Those eyes which have not seen this should be set
    on fire. Only the eyes which have seen this beautiful scene are
    successful. The gopîs were offering årati to Krsna not with lamps,
    but with their eyes. How? Their eyes were like lamps, and the
    prema in their hearts was like the oil. Their eyes were burning as
    they circled Krsna’s form with loving sidelong glances, and they
    performed arcana of Krsna with these glances. With great happiness,
    Krsna became shy and accepted all of them.

#2584 Reply

madhukar das
    Keymaster

Yes, beautiful meditation for offering arati!

This first chapter is a perfect example of Gurudeva’s harikatha. He gave everything in it. He gave us a taste, a glimpse, of what our aspiration is, but then he tells us practically what we need to do achieve it. First we need a strong understanding of Bhagavad-gita. But even in explaining Bhagavad-gita Srila Gurudeva can’t help but tell the glories of the gopis. All the main conceptions of Mahaprabhu are in this chapter, as Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura writes:

aradhyo bhagavan vrajesa-tanayas tad-dhama vrndavanam
    ramya kascid upasana vraja-vadhu-varga-ya kalpita
    srimad-bhagavatam amalam puranam prema pumartho mahan
    sri-caitanya mahaprabhor matam idam tatradarah na parah

Vrajendra-nandana Śrī Kṛṣṇa is my topmost object of worship, as is His transcendental abode, Śrī Vṛndāvana. The bhāva with which the gopīs have worshiped Śrī Kṛṣṇa is the most excellent form of worship of all. Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam alone is the immaculate scriptural evidence (śabda-pramāṇa), and prema is the supreme objective of life (parama puruṣārtha). This is the conception of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu. Any other conception is not worthy of respect.

aradhyo bhagavan vrajesa-tanayas — Vrajendra-nandana Śrī Kṛṣṇa is my topmost object of worship

Throughout this chapter Gurudeva brings us to the different levels of Bhagavad-gita from knowledge of brahma, to knowledge of Paramatma, until we reach it pinnacle: devotion to Bhagavan Vrajendranandan Sri Krsna, as described in this verse man-mana bhava. Gurudeva explains, ” Then at the end of the Gita He gives the verse that we are discussing, man-mana bhava. When He says that we should always think of Him, who is He referring to? Syamasundara, who has very, very beautiful hair, and on whose head the peacock feather is always present. He who is standing in His threefold-bending posture under a kadamba tree in a kunja of Vrndavana. He who is holding the flute to His beautiful lips, with the nectar of His heart pouring out from the holes of the flute. We should always think of this Krsna.”

tad-dhama vrndavanam — His transcendental abode, Śrī Vṛndāvana [is my topmost object of worship]

The very first paragraph of this chapter begins with the glories of Vrindavan and ends with the glories of Vrindavan. Gurudeva says “The scriptures describe many spiritual places, but in the entire universe there is no place like Vrndavana. He who knows the glories of Vrndavana will understand this, and especially one who has received the mercy of Vrndavana will understand this. In his Sri Vrndavana-mahimamrta, Srila Prabodhananda Sarasvati has written that Vrndavana is our everything, and not just the village of Vrndavana, but the entire Vraja-mandala. Especially Nandagrama, Varsana, Radha-kunda, Syama-kunda, Giriraja-Govardhana: they are all included within Vrndavana. Sri Krsna and His eternal associates have performed pastimes there that are thoroughly unique.”

ramya kascid upasana vraja-vadhu-varga-ya kalpita — The bhāva with which the gopīs have worshiped Śrī Kṛṣṇa is the most excellent form of worship of all.

Gurudeva extensively tell the glories of the gopis throughout this chapter. He explains how Krsna wanted to show Uddhava their glories, etc.

srimad-bhagavatam amalam puranam — Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam alone is the immaculate scriptural evidence (śabda-pramāṇa)

In this chapter, Gurudeva explains the beautiful palace of Srimad Bhagavatam, and how the instructions of the Bhagavad-gita is like milk and how Srimad-Bhagavatam is the essence (the cream) of the essence (the butter) or the essence (the ghee) of all the scriptures.

prema pumartho mahan — prema is the supreme objective of life (parama puruṣārtha)

Gurudeva explains how absorbing one’s mind and heart in Bhagavān is not a simple thing. For a man to absorb his mind in any one activity, all his senses must be completely centered on that, otherwise it will be uncontrolled. It is not possible to fully do this on the stage of śraddhā (faith), ruci, (taste), āsakti (spiritual attachment), or bhāva (devotional ecstasy). Only in the stage of prema, divine love, can we fully give our hearts to Kṛṣṇa.

This is just something that came to mind when I was reading this chapter. Sorry for presenting it so poorly. I do not have so much time to write now, but I just wanted to share that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: 1.3 Always Think of Me — The gopis are the perfect example of man mana-bhava
Your information: